- 2 CUPS All-purpose flour
- 1/2 CUP Whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 3 tsp. Fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/3 CUP Vegetable shortening
- 1 CUP Warm water
- To a bowl add both flours, salt, baking powder and oregano and use a whisk to combine well. If you can’t find fresh oregano you can substitute with 1 tsp. of dried oregano just make sure you crush it between the palms of your hands when adding it to release the oils. Use your hands to add in and incorporate the shortening until it resemble course meal.
- Slowly add in water a little at a time until dough holds together, you may not need all the water. Turn dough out onto a clean work surface and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth. Divide dough into 10-12 pieces rolling them into balls in the palms of your hands. Cover dough balls with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 45 minutes.
- Place an ungreased comal or griddle over medium high heat.
- Roll out 1 dough ball at a time on a lightly floured work surface. To form the tortillas place the dough ball onto work surface and press lightly with your hand, set the rolling pin at the center and press forward and then press backwards towards yourself. Turn the tortilla 45 degrees and repeat. Flip the tortilla and repeat the same process until you have a thin disk of about 10 inches.
- Place the tortilla on preheated griddle or comal. Allow to cook about 10-15 seconds or until bubbles begin to form, flip and cook about 10 more seconds on other side. Remove the tortilla and wrap with a kitchen towel. Repeat steps until all tortillas are cooked.
Inspired by: Martita Jara